Saturday, May 29, 2021

A Temperature Blanket.

 BBBrrrrrr!  It was cold yesterday!   The Weather Network said the high temperature was 11.1 degrees Celsius.  But to me it felt much colder.  Who would have thought it could be so cold?  A couple of days ago it was over 30 degrees Celsius.  I've already planted my tomato plants,

Why would I care how cold it is?  We are still under a lockdown order.  I can't go out anyway.  But many of you know that I am a temperature junkie.  Over the years I have made many temperature quilts using hexagons.  Unfortunately my hexie days are over.  The handwork and the tiny stitches are too difficult to see.

A year or so ago I learned of something called a temperature blanket.  Here's how it works:  the method of construction is crochet.  That's big enough for me to see.  Daily high temperatures are assigned specific colours.  Each day a row is crocheted following this colour chart.  The blanket should be completed in one year.

I had never done one of these before.  But the concept sounded intriguing.  I decided to start mine on the first of this year.  I had no idea how to do it.  How many stitches?  What size crochet hook?  So I played around with it.  My first attempt did not work.  I liked the pattern.  It was a sort of wave.  But it puckered so I 'frogged' it.  Rip it rip it.  Get it?

I started a new one using a larger hook and single crochets across the rows.  After almost 5 months it now looks like this.


Seven months to go.  
Wow!  
Unbelievable.  
Only seven months and the year will be over. 
 But frankly, between you and me, it's been a crazy year.
I'm not going to miss it.





4 comments:

  1. That looks terrific, Hetty! I will look forward to seeing it at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Hetty! I guess when it's complete, the hot spot will be in the middle! Look forward to seeing the 12 months complete!

    ReplyDelete