Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Face Masks and Back to School Jitters

It's William's first day back at school after 6 months of staying home.  If I said I was not concerned I would be lying.

William phoned me last night.  He was not able to sleep.  I asked him what he was worried about.  He said his stomach was hurting.  He will be in grade 1 this year.  He does not know who his teacher will be.  He has no idea who will be in his class.  He has to stay in his seat all day.  How will that work for a kid with an intense desire to be active?

I asked him what he was worried about most.  He said he was afraid the other kids will laugh at him.  He injured his bottom lip on the left side and it is still sore.  He has to eat on the other side of his mouth.  He was crying when he told me he was afraid the other kids wouldn't understand.

His concern over his lip overshadowed his fears.  There wasn't much I could tell him except that I loved him   I can only hope that everything will go okay.  Stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands properly, give your friends the elbow greeting,  Keep a Covid distance and all will be well I told him.  Call me tonight and tell me all about your day.

I made a few more face masks for him and for another boy whose Grandmother lives on my street.





3 comments:

  1. It's always hard to hear that one's grandchild is not well or worried and can't sleep. I hope he phones after school today with joy in his voice. Those are nice masks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He probably didn't think about his lip being covered up with a mask when he was worrying. I hope he has a caring teacher who will make him feel comfortable too. The masks are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to be young again, these fears are so real. I am glad he had an ok day as your later post said.

    ReplyDelete