Friday, March 12, 2021

Socks Rock

I have been knitting socks for William.  He asked for them expressly.  They are not to keep his feet warm.  Or dry.   He wants to use them like a pair of skates.  Yes.  You heard that right!  My DS taught him how to 'skate' in the front foyer of his house, wearing a pair of knitted socks.   

I  really like knitting socks.  It is very calming.  Kind of like meditating - something I need to do a lot of lately to keep me sane.  Just concentrating on the stitches.  Listening to the clicking of the needles.  The repetitive motions.  And better for my eyesight.  It is easier to see the knitting yarn than sewing a quarter inch seam allowance.   I had to use a light colour, but not too light, and not too dark either.  Dark colours are difficult to see.  I used some left over green yarn.  Still I had problems if I made a mistake or had to count rows.  I used stitch markers and a magnifying glass to read the instructions.  The socks were a success!  He loves them and spent the major part of his evening 'skating' on the hardwood floor.

So now that William needs more socks,  I have something to keep me busy.  I have a purpose!  I am a knitting Nana.  How cool is that?  Here is what they look like.


I have no idea how many pairs I will make.  I guess it all depends on how many good movies are on television.  These socks will also be fantastic to wear inside his spring Wellies.   He is fed up with his winter boots.  Yeah, can you tell?  He is six years old.

4 comments:

  1. That is pretty special that he wants you to knit him socks! Spring will be here soon and maybe you can knit outside in the sunshine with a warm breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great socks! I've never tried knitting socks, they look tricky. It is wonderful to make things for your grandson that you enjoy and that bring him joy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning the heel might seem tricky, but I've made so many socks that it has become easy.

      Delete