Saturday, June 12, 2021

In my Garden

 It seems like everything in my garden is a weed.  That isn't entirely true. of course, but after spending a few hours outdoors, I couldn't find a lot of things that weren't weeds.  

There is a lovely white columbine.  I found a yellow one too, amidst the weeds, but it wasn't in bloom this morning.  I don't know if you can see the large green leaves in the columbine photo.  They are milkweed plants.  I have been keeping a few in my flower bed in the hopes of attracting some monarch butterflies.  So far nothing, but the plants are forming buds. They are doing well, but are weeds of course.


While pulling weeds and digging stuff out, I came across this crazy crane.  I thought I had lost him.  But there he was!  All covered in mud and dirt.  I cleaned him off and I think I am going to give him a fresh coat of black paint and a more prominent place in the garden.  I really like him.


Another plant that is not a weed, but closely resembles one is my maggi plant, also known as lovage.  It grows 6 to 8 feet tall and has large umbels at the top that look amazing against a clear blue sky during the summer months.  This plant can be used in soups and stews.  I have never cooked with it, but it tastes a bit like celery, parsley and anise.  In The Netherlands, it is used extensively because the flavour closely resembles maggi. A seasoning that is very popular.

















2 comments:

  1. I've heard of lovage, but never seen it growing, or used it in cooking. Your crane was a nice find. He looks great.
    I don't think milkweed counts as a weed. It's for the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay about the milkweed. I have had it in my garden for many years, but I have never had butterflies.

      Delete