Monday, June 21, 2021

National Indigenous Peoples Day

I wrote this post almost a month ago.  At that time it was mainly a rant about my revulsion at the news  of the Indigenous children whose remains were found at a residential school in British Colombia.  Today it is about celebrating.

Today is National Indigenous Peoples Day. This day has been celebrated since 1996.  It is a day to recognize and celebrate the cultures and contributions of Indigenous Peoples from all across Canada.  This is the first year that I have been aware of it.  Is this because of all the talk about the residential schools and other problems like the lack of clean drinking water?  2021 focuses on celebrating resilience through reconciliation.  Whatever that means.  I am hopeful that the observation of this day will bring about positive changes for all Native People.

I have always been interested in Indigenous people.   I live close to an Indigenous community.  It is less than a mile away.  The last school I worked at was adjacent to it.  I listened to their drumming.  I watched as they entered the sweat lodge for healing ceremonies.  I smelled the scent of burning sweetgrass.  I always found their way of life fascinating.  

A few years ago, when I was hosting a teacher from the Japanese Kamajo school, we had an  opportunity to attend the Grand River Champion of Champions Powwow.  It was a special event.  A wonderful chance to watch members of Six Nations in costumes, dancing and drumming.    To feel their power, their love of beauty and their creative lives.  It inspired me.  


Another wonderful, inspirational event was a trip to Petroglyphs Park.  When we were there the first time we were allowed to clamber over the rock and observe the carvings up close.  It was a fantastic experience for my kids who were quite young at the time.  


But things are different today.  Petroglyphs Provincial Park has many rock carvings.  It is located North East of Peterborough.  The carvings depict turtles. boats, humans, shamans, snakes, birds and other animals.  I believe it may be the largest concentration of carvings in Canada.  



Carved into a huge flat rock, the site is considered a sacred place.  The Ojibwa Nishnaabe people have erected a large, mostly glass building over the rock to protect it, both from acid rain and from being walked on.  The rock can now be observed from a raised platform.  Photographing or video recording is not allowed.  The above photo came off the internet.  There are guides to explain the carvings and the Indigenous beliefs.  Deep crevices in the rock are believed to lead to a spirit world.  A river runs under the rock.  It can be heard as it flows along.  It is believed to indicate spirits.

Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day


2 comments:

  1. Protecting those petroglyphs for future generations is a good idea. Is the photography ban because of the sacredness of the images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The rock is considered a sacred site. The ban is for spiritual reasons. I think it is feared that a photo would rob the site of its essence.

      Delete