Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Wildflower Wednesday

This is such a pretty plant.  It doesn't seem possible that it could be an invasive weed.  It is in the morning glory family.  The small white or pale pink flowers (about 1 inch across) are cup-shaped and resemble its larger, more colourful cousin.

It is a perennial and is spread by roots, rhizomes and seeds.  It can strangle a lawn or garden in no time.  The roots and rhizomes create a tight mat that prevents anything else from growing there.  It also wraps itself around everything it comes in contact with.  

There is no way to get rid of this plant without using some kind of herbicide.  I hate using this poison in my garden,  But my home-made solution of household ingredients is not going to work.  So far the bindweed is growing at the side of my house, but I'm afraid if I don't get rid of it I could have it coming up everywhere. The herbicide has to be taken up by the roots and rhizomes in order to be effective.  In this case I will use something like Roundup.  The spray has to be applied at just the right time - early in the season when the flowers first appear.  That's between June and July.  So guess what I'm going to be doing this afternoon.


Fanily: Convolvuleae,  Genus: Calystegia.
Common name: Bindweed.




6 comments:

  1. I have Bindweed too in the same garden with my other invasive plant. A landscape service is going to spray it today and then next week dig down and haul everything away in the top 5". Then they will bring in new topsoil which I hope will not have any other invasive seeds mixed in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild morning glories are pretty, but they do take over if you let them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have them everywhere if they weren't so invasive.

      Delete
  3. They do look quite pretty. Too bad about their nasty habits!

    ReplyDelete