Friday, May 22, 2020

In the Garden

I planted some tomato plants yesterday.  I was kind of worried about them because I heard lots of scary raccoon noises last night.  I hoped they hadn't pulled my plants up.  So I went out this morning to have a look.  Yay!  Everything was fine!
I was quite relieved.  I took another photo of one of the plants.  This variety is Early Girl.  Can't wait to harvest them.



I took a few other photos.  Here is my Bleeding Heart.  I love these.



Another blue flower.  I love blue flowers.  But I have probably said that before.  This is Mertensia virginia, Virginia blue bells.  When this plant comes up in early spring its foliage is a dark reddish colour.  Then by the middle of spring it has blue bell shaped flowers,

Here is a close up. 
The flowers turn pink after a few days.  By summer the plant has gone dormant.  It totally disappears.  Kind of like the fall crocuses.  I have to remember where it was so I don't dig it up and plant something else in its space.


It sounds like my time outside was good.  But nothing could be farther from the truth.  After I had taken the photos everything went downhill.  I pulled the hose up to the tomato plants.  I was able to water them, but I was not happy with the way the water came out of the wand.  Then I watered a small area in the back garden where a few catnip plants had come up.  I wanted to moisten the soil so I could remove the plant.  But then my hose broke!  It just split near the wand end, sending a cold shower all over me.  I turned the water off as quickly as I could.  Then I tried to dig up the catnip.  But the soil was still too hard.  I managed to get it out in pieces.  I hope it survives.  My daughter wants some for her garden because her seeds aren't working.  I will try to fix the hose this afternoon.  Or maybe I'll take a nap.




2 comments:

  1. That hose problem sounds like a nightmare. I need to get a new nozzle for mine because the squeeze handle isn't working and it is on all the time if I turn on the water.

    I planted mostly 4th of July variety tomatoes because I could only find 2 Early Girl plants. The 4th of July was the best producer anyway the last 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hose breaking is a pain! But the flowers are beautiful.

    Early Girl is not a tomato variety we get here. I hope they grow well and you are enjoying fresh tomatoes soon!

    ReplyDelete