Sunday, June 21, 2020

A New Leader and Ender Project

I spotted a cute quilt on Nann's blog.  She is at With Strings Attached.   Then the next day I spotted it on Kathy's blog.  I think this quilt would be a great leader and ender project.  It would also work with the So Scrappy Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Besides the sprout blocks I haven't done many for that.

Do I need a new project?  No way!  But variety is the spice of life, or so they say.  And this quilt would use up all kinds of scraps.   So I think I will just make a few blocks each month in the colour that has been chosen.


I have finished two blocks and a third is almost done.  But my sewing machine started making sick noises.  And what I don't need right now is a broken machine!  So I turned it off and decided to go outside and do some gardening.

I was mostly weeding today.  There are a lot of those little suckers out there.  I came across a mixture for a homemade concoction that is supposed to kill them.  Here is the recipe:

8 cups of vinegar
1/4 cup of salt
1 tsp dish washing soap.

The soap is to make the vinegar adhere to the plant.
Only make a small batch of this stuff at a time.  Put it into a spray bottle.
Spray it on weeds during hot sunny weather.  If rain is expected shortly wait until  there is no rain in the immediate forecast.  Do not spray it on anything that you don't want to kill, like grass or garden plants.  It is supposed to work in a couple of hours.  I will go out later and see if it worked.


I seem to have a lot of Lamium.  It is growing everywhere.  In the sun.  In the shade.  In cracks in the patio and all sorts of other places I don't really want it to be.

It is pretty though.  I also pulled out a lot of spearmint plants that were coming from my neighbour's yard.  The smell was wonderful and it made me want some peppermint tea.  So I went inside.  It was too hot out there anyway. 


3 comments:

  1. The waffle blocks look cute. A good way to use up small scraps.

    The lamium is pretty. Too bad it is hard to keep under control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Lamium and have it planted where it really can't escape. I have both purple and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad you are joining in the fun of the waffle scrappy blocks!
    This is one of my leader-ender projects and I will make the 3 strips in each block the RSC colour of the month. It will make a wonderful quilt over time!

    ReplyDelete