Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Mint Tea


Before I talk about my cuppa, let me tell you about the homemade spray to kill the weeds.  It didn't work as well as I had hoped.  It did kill some of the very small weeds, but it did not work on the larger ones.  It may have been the humidity in the air.  It was very hot and humid.  I will have to try again.  I didn't spray any yesterday because rain was in the forecast.  It never did rain.  Today we are supposed to get thunder storms so I guess I will have to leave the spraying for another time.

I pulled some more invaders that had escaped from my neighbour's property.  The spearmint smelled heavenly.  Too bad that stuff is so invasive.  I decided to have a cup of peppermint tea when I went inside.  It was very delicious and thirst quenching.  
I have some real peppermint. but I cleverly planted it in a pot, so it wouldn't be able to take over the backyard.  Mint is like that.  It multiplies.  I'll have to keep an eye on it in case it flowers and produces seeds.


While I was out there I noticed that my evening primrose was beginning to flower.  I know I said blue flowers are my favourite.  but yellow is a very close second.



I also noticed some beautiful tiny white flowers coming up all over the place.  I had always thought these were chamomile, but now I am not sure.  They may be Sweet Cicely.  I am going to have to do a bit of googling

This is an interesting section of the garden, right under my sour cherry tree.  Here are some of the little cherries just starting to turn red and below that, a little peach coloured miniature rose that was gifted to me about 13 years ago.  I am going to let the birds have the cherries this year.  I am way too busy to harvest them and make jam.

Edit:  It is definitely Sweet Cicely.  I bought it from the Scarborough Horticultural Society a long time ago.    I had forgotten about it until I checked out my old blog, the one that was compromised.  This plant is an herb.  It  has never looked as nice as it does this year!








2 comments:

  1. I love yellow so yellow flowers are favorites. Right now the purple/blue and yellow are both in bloom and are such a complement to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the weed spray! Your flowers are looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete