Friday, June 19, 2020

Surprise Flowers

A few days ago, while watering the plants in my solarium, I noticed an Amaryllis bulb that seemed to have a bud on it.  It was totally dried out and had been sitting on the floor for a long time.  I had planned to put it into the yard waste bag as soon as I could get it outside.  It had been at least 2 years since it had bloomed last.  Maybe longer.

The soil in the pot was the original that I had planted it in when I had first bought it.  It was hard and dry.  I couldn't believe that this plant was still alive.  But I was excited as I anticipated what would happen.  I decided to water it.  Within a few days it had grown a foot high and some leaves were starting to sprout on it.
It only has two flowers on it but that is enough for me.  I love them!


I also noticed that my pink peonies were in bloom.  I was unable to reach them from my scooter, but when my son was here yesterday I had him cut some for me.  The blossoms are very heavy.  They tend to fall onto the ground so I decided the best way to enjoy them was to cut a few and put them into a vase and place them on my coffee table.


I am also painting some rocks.  Sort of a Covid project.  William helped me.  I still have a few to finish.  I will post them as soon.as I get them done.



4 comments:

  1. The peonies have been lovely this year, but mine are dropping quickly. I paint rocks too, right now painting some Canada flag ones for Canada Day on July 1. Enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful surprise. I just checked on my 2 year old bulbs in the garage and they are sending up leaves but I don't see any buds. Your peonies are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly lovely surprise. Lucky you didn't put it in the garbage already. I got some painted rocks from my twin granddaughters as a welcome home gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful surprise from your amaryllis bulb. That must make you happy every time you see it.

    Your peonies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete