Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A Rant and Some New Blocks

I am very upset with what is going on in the black community.  During the 80's I took a few courses at York University in Race Relations.  It was to lead to a certificate.  I think I had one more course to take before I quit.  But I had to go to work.  We were broke and I had already spent too many years to get my Bachelor's degree.

But the courses I did take made me aware of the racism that is rampant in our society.  Just because we live in Canada doesn't mean we are not prejudiced.  In 1910 an add was placed in a newspaper in Nova Scotia for the sale of a black slave.  I was shocked when I learned that.  I thought slaves had come here for freedom.  As the courses went on I learned much more.

Our racism is not as visible as it is in other countries.  Ours is systemic racism.  You can't see it but it is there.  Ask any black person and they will tell you that they experience racism in every day life.
I learned that systemic racism comes about because our economy dictates that we must make profits.  By having a group that can be manipulated into taking lower paying jobs and doing work that no one else wants to do we are creating systemic racism.

I wish I had answers on how to change things.  I think we need more protests like today's.  We need to start treating everyone as equals, regardless of the colour of his or her skin or where he or she came from.  Racism is wrong and it's got to stop.  It's up to each one of us.

Okay.  I will get off my soapbox now.  I have been working on some new blocks,  I saw them on Wanda's blog and fell in love with them.  I had already made a few a long time ago.  Surprise! Surprise!  I found them!  Today I made a few more blocks.  I think I will try for one block per day.  I think I can manage that.






2 comments:

  1. You have a great start on the framed 9 patches. They are fun therapeutic sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racism seems to be a huge problem everywhere, although often not acknowledged. Australia has an appalling record, too.

    ReplyDelete