Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Mathematics

A few days ago I introduced my new leader and ender project.   I have made a few more blocks.    Now I have to figure out how many of these I am going to need.
blocks and prepared leader and enders

Mathematics is not my strong suit.  But since my DS is not here I will try to figure it out by myself.  Each block is 5.5 inches and  will finish at 5 inches square.  If I want the quilt to be about 50 inches wide each row would need 10 blocks.  Then if I want it to finish at 75 inches long, I would need 15 rows.  But maybe 75 inches is not long enough.  80 or 85 inches would be better.  And maybe I would like it to finish at 55 inches wide.  Of course I could always make it bigger by adding a border.  I think I will need about 180 to 200 blocks.  The math just went out the window!  This project will take a long time.  But I knew that, didn't I?  Yeah, I did.

I'll just work on it a few blocks a week.  And I will use the current colour of the month.  Yes, this project will take a long time.  Maybe years.  Probably several years.  But that's okay.  It will keep me busy.

3 comments:

  1. I like a project that I can just make blocks for when I don't have anything else lined up to work on. Actually the quilt is sometimes more interesting that way because you will end up using a larger variety of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - just make blocks when you feel like it, and see how many you have at the end! They look like good blocks for using up scraps, and the final quilt will be a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes... it's a long term commitment! Unless you get tired of it and make a table runner or a baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete