Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Alien Abduction

I feel as if I was abducted by aliens yesterday.  From my trip to the hospital, to my ride home, nothing felt like anything I had ever experienced before.  I rode my scooter over to the hospital because Wheeltrans was giving me a hard time.

There was a lot of construction on the road I took there.  There were huge piles of gravel that were almost impossible to ride over.  Part of the road was flooded.  Some of the sidewalk was missing.  I rode in the bike lane. 

At the hospital there was a long line of people, all safely spaced 2 metres apart, waiting to go in.  Once inside I was bombarded with questions, given a green sticker, some hand sanitizer and instructions to get to were I needed to go.  Unfortunately the directions were not correct.  I became lost in a mess of uninhabited corridors.

When I finally reached the right place, by accident, there were more questions and a denial of who I was and a lack of the proper papers that would allow me to have the tests done.  Everything had been arranged by my doctor.  I had been notified by phone.  I had no papers.  Happy but frustrated I was ready to go home.  The only thing that stopped me was my fear of losing my way again and maybe ending up in a Covid unit.  So  I waited for a fax from my doctor's office.

When it finally came I was directed, once again wrongly, to a black door on the left.  The door turned out to be green.  That is when I knew I had been abducted.   Everything after that was a blur.   I was made to get off my scooter and transfer to a huge camera thing that looked like it belonged in another world.  I was given an IV injection of what I figured were radio active isotopes.  Some photos were taken and I was told to get back onto my scooter.  I thought I was done, but no!

They told me to leave and return at 2:15.  That was 3 hours away!  I wanted to go home but it felt as if they had control of me.  I went outside because I was cold.  But I couldn't warm up.  I waited and waited.  Finally it was time.  I was in pain.  I had a headache.  I had trouble getting onto the slab that was the imaging machine.  My legs were lifted and re-positioned many times.  I was so cold I was shivering.  Finally I was told to get off the machine.  I was told that I needed some X-rays.    They gave me a requisition.

I returned to the intake desk.  More questions.  Had I been to Africa?  What planet am I on? I asked.  I think they thought I was crazy.  I felt crazy.  When the X-rays were done.  I hightailed it out of the hospital.  I took a different way home.

I started to feel as if I was free again.  The fields and road sides were covered in Queen Anne's Lace flowers.  I wanted to pick them, as a symbol of my freedom.  They made me smile.   I felt that I had survived my abduction.





6 comments:

  1. Oh my...I'm glad you survived your ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what an ordeal. Why do they make directions to your destination room so difficult and wrong? Most of our hospitals here have someone to take you to the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all sounds horrible! I hope you can now have some quiet recovery time, and that the results of the tests will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness gracious that is horrendous! It was like you were on the TV show of the amazing race just trying to get a medical test. I am amazed by your resiliency and strength to persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You overcame all the obstacles. Good for you. Perhaps a little bit of complaining to your own doctor is in order.

    ReplyDelete